In the past, Krpice sa zeljem were considered a dish for poor people, but today this simple meal became a pricy delicacy. It is food that is a necessary part of every family table and in a way it is a monument that is passed from generation to generation.
Ingredients (for 4 people):
– 1 piece (in Croatia we say head of cabbage) of fresh cabbage
– 1 onion
– 300 gr of pasta
– 1 tablespoon of Vegeta and/or other spices
– 2 tablespoon of salt
– 2 tablespoon of oil
– 1 tablespoon of sugar
1. Cut onions and put them into a pan along with oil and sugar.
2. While the onion and other ingredients are getting hot, cut the cabbage and put some salt on it.
3. When the onions get golden (or brown) colour, add the cabbage, Vegeta (spices), and parsley. Fry everything together for about half an hour (lower heat).
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta and drain it when cooked. When the ‘veggie mix’ is finished put everything together and mix it.
5. You can add fried bacon in it, or just serve it with a little bit of cheese on the top. Enjoy!